Monday, October 12, 2020

Post 1: Supporting our English Language Learners

This week, I received numerous alerts about remote instruction and how it is impacting our English Language Learners. The learning curve is very steep - not only are they trying to understand a new spoken language, but the computer language has also become (in some cases) even more important. Teachers are left screencasting directions instead of the in-person support. The readings I've done this week indicate that students learn best when students are in the classroom and teachers can provide face to face instruction with time for facilitating. I've also been reading a lot about the tools that teachers are using to better reach their students during this time of "at home instruction". Platforms such as Zoom, Seesaw, Schoology, and Google tools are helping to bridge the gap between face to face and remote instruction. As an elementary librarian, I am always looking for ways to enhance my instruction of information literacy and foster a love of good reading. Nothing can take the place of good face to face instruction, but the tools that we're using are at least helping to make the learning more meaningful. Here's a link to an article I found very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post #7: Creating Multi-Lingual / Multi-Cultural Libraries

     This post is in reflection to the two articles I read this week from my Google Alerts set to:  English As a Second Language in Classroo...